Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Christmas in Uganda?

I have been here for about a month and it feels like home. Everything about this place screams forever. Maybe not Jinja, but Africa. My focus is on this summer and these kids but for the past couple of days I have been thinking when is the next chance I will be able to get back to my second home.

I can't think of a better way to spend Christmas!

I have fallen in love with a boy named Christopher. I have mentioned him before in this blog. Just thinking about him now brings tears of joy to my eyes. His laugh sounds like the woodchucks from the Geico commercials. That right there is perfection. He has a scar from a burn on the side of his head. He has the most beautiful smile with two dimples to match. He is the first toddler boy I see in the mornings and the last one I say goodnight to. Every night I walk to his bunk and say "nkwagala" which means "i love you" and he kisses my forehead. It takes everything in me not to tear up. My heart grows each time.

Now don't get me wrong. Everyone of these kids has a special place in my heart and I would go to the ends of the earth for them. They are all precious in my sight and love them all dearly.

I got to take Christopher to town yesterday. And yes I showed him off to everyone. Around here people just assume that you are the child's mother. I have to admit I don't mind that assumption. We went to a little place called Ozzie's and shared a cinnamon roll and a cheeseburger. Well let me rephrase that... Christopher had a cinnamon roll and my cheeseburger. He occasionally would shove a fry in my mouth. Oh how I love him.

No comments:

Post a Comment