Thursday, June 30, 2011

i know it's been 10 days.

sorry sorry sorry! (now i am sounding like a ugandan) I know it has been 10 days since I last wrote and a lot has happened. From sprained ankles to what we though was malaria to missing my kids downstairs! I was playing the Ugandan version of dodgeball, which by the way is 10000 times more fun than the American way, and well fell in a hole and sprained my ankle. On a positive note, my team one the dodgeball game! I have been sick in bed for the past few days with body aches, fever, headache, etc, but thankfully it's not malaria. It is some other kind of infection or something. No worries though because I have to take a total of 63 pills in 7 days and I will be better. Haha I just find it funny that I am taking 63 pills... This has been a rough few days. I miss my little toddler boys so much and I am only feet from them. I can here them outside of my window singing songs and playing. I will sneak downstairs every once in a while when I have a burst of energy and go and see my boys. Two days ago I walk around the corner and Christopher was the first one to see me. His face lit up and I am sure mine was making some ridiculous face because for that moment my focus was completely on the fact that I love this kid.. and that he was running full speed at my legs. I can't even think about they day I actually have to leave this place.

As I said before I am going to be back in Uganda in December. Oh goodness just typing that makes me so happy! God is faithful and has everything figured out already and I am trusting in the fact that He wants me here more than just this summer. Through lots of prayer, random moments of quietness (there isn't usually many), and just looking at these kids I know this will be home.    

Being here in Uganda or well I guess being anywhere outside of our normal comfort zone your perspective can get radically changed. Looking back on the first day I got here and even the months leading up to it I was just flat out naive. Rightfully so. I have never been here. I don't want to step on people's toes, because I am all for mission work. But I have seen people and teams come and go since I have been here. Taking pictures of our kids, video taping, and well anything other than actually interacting with them. I see mzungu missionaries in town taking pictures of street kids, but not actually asking them their names or even taking them for a soda. We want to be Jesus for these kids?  Buy them a coke and a piece of chocolate cake and talk to them. I am in no way putting myself above anyone I am just as guilty of passing up opportunities. The term "facebook opportunity" comes to mind. This shatters my heart. These kids are more than a facebook opportunity. Sometimes we can be so off base with our mission work.

My prayer is that our hearts be radically changed and our minds be open. That any expectations we have of what we can do for people be shattered. That we carry out the name of Jesus to the ends of the earth and make His name famous. Not our own. That we might show compassion and love to everyone person without missing an opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment